Thank you for your interest in our University and program. We are happy to accommodate our colleagues who hold a PhD as visiting scholars as far as our resources allow. Visitors are welcome to collaborate with out faculty and students and are encouraged to present a colloquium for our community during their stay.
Our process requires that interested potential visitors contact a faculty member to ask them for sponsorship. In contacting faculty members, please include a curriculum vitae and a statement of intent outlining your intended activities while on campus. Please be aware that faculty cannot extend official invitations to any potential visiting scholar. The Dean of the Graduate School will extend an official invitation at a later stage of the process. After the initial contact and discussion, the sponsoring faculty member will prepare your information for the Department Chair who will initiate the process of faculty approval.
For International visitors, upon approval from the faculty, the Department of Linguistics will work with the International Center to begin the process to obtain a DS 2019 form for the potential visiting scholar. In order to complete this process, the visitor must provide the following documents to the department:
- A photocopy of the biological page from the visitor's passport
- Proof of visitor's qualifications in the form of the visitor's degree translated into English, proof of publications, letters of recommendation, etc.
- Verification of visitor's English ability such as TOEFL or Michigan Test scores or a letter of recommendation
- Verification of visitor's finances if the visitor is funding themself or if being financed by a third-party agency
- Proof of medical insurance
Once the Department has received the necessary documents from the visitor, the forms will be processed by the International Center and they will send a DS 2019 to the visitor. The visitor may then use this DS 2019 to apply for a visa. International scholars should please note that invitations will not be formally extended until the Department of Linguistics receives the visitor's visa information.